It’s no wonder why so many people decide to live in Florida – it’s a fantastic place. The Sunshine state has been among the top favorites for people who want to move. However, no matter how much you love it, the moving process can be confusing and overwhelming, especially if you need to buy a home for the first time. Browsing properties with features you want the most, mortgage, packing, organizing the move – all of these tend to create a very hectic time for new residents. Therefore, we created a guide for those who want to settle in Florida. Here’s everything you need to know about first-time homebuyer programs in Florida and make this purchase a breeze.
Is Florida a good place to buy a home?
We’ve got the list of benefits of buying a home here for those still having second thoughts about moving to a Florida home. It is a great place to buy a home because:
- the weather is incredible – if you’re coming from a place where it can get cold and rainy, you’re going to love it in Florida. The sun is up most of the year!
- you can enjoy the beach whenever you want – if your dream is to live in a place where you can hear the waves all the time, Florida is the best place to call home.
- affordability – the lack of state income tax attracts so many residents from other states. Furthermore, the cost of living in Florida is relatively low compared to many other locations in the USA. You can finally enjoy your hard-earned money doing the things you’ve always wanted.
- unique atmosphere – cultural diversity, restaurants of all world cuisines, a variety of indoor and outdoor activities, and proximity to the beach create a unique atmosphere that many new residents love.
- it’s easy to purchase a home and move here – with all the first-time home buyer programs in Florida and reliable moving services, you can buy a home and relocate across the state with some help without losing your sanity and breaking the bank.
Purchasing a home for the first time
For those who haven’t owned a home before, Florida provides several resources to make this purchase a lot easier. Firstly, let’s go through the basic information you should know:
- all of the programs are 30-year fixed-rate mortgages;
- thelocation doesn’t matter – you can purchase a home in all of Florida’s counties;
- this home must be your primary residence – you can’t use it as a vacation or second home;
- there are several financial requirements you need to meet, which include income, property price, and credit;
- the loan can be combined with other programs related to the down payment or closing costs;
- it is necessary to get a homebuyer education certificate to understand the process of finding and buying a property in Florida better.
All of these requirements are necessary to be eligible for one of the first-time homebuyer programs in Florida. So, let’s see what kind of programs you can choose from.
Mortgage state programs you can choose from in Florida
Florida’s first Mortgage
This kind of program is the best if you’re looking for closing cost assistance or down payment assistance. It provides you with government-backed FHA, VA, and USDA mortgages. However, you need to stay inside income and purchase price limits and accept a 30-year fixed rate.
Florida Advantage Program
This special kind of program assists those with a disabled family member or those who are buying a home in a particular area. Also, to be eligible for this program, the buyer needs to be at or below 80 percent of AMI – Area Median Income.
Military Loan Program
The state provides dedicated FHA, VA, and USDA loans for those who qualify as military personnel and veterans. Furthermore, this type of assistance is available for all the community heroes, which often include some healthcare workers, police and fire department workers, and employees of the school system. Apart from this, you can also get help with your down payment and closing costs. The program is known for low-interest rates as a way of saying thanks to the soldiers.
Remember: Military families often move a lot, and organizing and packing the entire house can be hectic and overwhelming. That’s why be sure to read tips to pack the entire home in no time, shared by true packing professionals. It will make your move to Florida a lot easier.
Florida Assist Loan
This type of program is great for assisting with down payments. It helps to defer the payment until you move out, sell the house or pay off the mortgage.
Homeownership Assistance for Moderate Income
Those eligible for HAMI can get help with their down payment or closing costs. The maximum amount is $5000, and it needs to be repaid in a maximum of 10 years.
Apart from these first-time homebuyer programs in Florida, you should also look at national loan options and make sure you get the best deal for your most significant purchase ever.
What’s the best program for you?
Now that you have insight into the first-time homebuyer programs in Florida, you need to choose the one that works best for you. It’s essential to evaluate your eligibility first, pick the location, and of course, choose a favorite property. If you are unsure what kind of program is the most appropriate, you need to contact the lender. They might have some additional requirements, specific rules, etc. Either way, give yourself time to find out as much as you can about the programs to make sure you get the most help with your first purchase. All of these steps will ensure that the house you like becomes your home in no time.